“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Neil K. Gehlawat is a trial attorney at AlderLaw, where he concentrates his practice on personal injury, civil rights, elder abuse, and employment cases. Prior to joining AlderLaw, Neil was a partner at a reputable plaintiff’s firm, where he helped secure more than $50 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients in five years. He graduated with highest honors from the University of California, Berkeley, and went on to obtain his law degree from The University of Texas School of Law.
Many of Mr. Gehlawat’s cases have received significant media attention. He represented the family of David Silva, who was beaten and asphyxiated by police, in a civil rights case that received international media coverage and resulted in a $3.4 million settlement for the victim’s family. He also obtained the largest settlement known to date ($2.1 million) in California against a public entity for dog-bite injuries. He is representing Tatyana Hargrove in her lawsuit against the Bakersfield Police Department – a case in which officers mistook her for a male suspect and assaulted her. His work on behalf of victims of police misconduct and elder abuse has been profiled in The Guardian, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and the New York Times.
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2016-2018
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law (2012)
- B.A., with highest honors in Political Science and Rhetoric, University of California, Berkeley
- Chair, New Lawyers Division, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- American Association for Justice
- State Bar of California
- U. S. District Court, Central District of CA
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of CA
- U. S. District Court, Northern District of CA
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Obtained $10 million settlement on behalf of young man who suffered below-the-knee amputation and brain injury in disputed liability motorcycle collision case (Confidential)
- Obtained $6 million settlement on behalf of family of young man run over and killed by oilfield worker who fell asleep at the wheel (Rios v. West Coast Casing)
- Obtained $3.4 million settlement on behalf of family of David Silva in high-profile civil rights case where Silva was beaten to death by law enforcement officers in Kern County (Silva v. County of Kern)
- Obtained largest settlement in California ($2.1 million) against a public entity for dog-bite injuries (Casey v. County of Kern)